27 March 2014

Epic Matters Stage III till Lourensford

Stage III
Robertson – Greyton 134km, 1800 m of climbing
Welcome to the edge of your endurance. Enjoy the view.”
Glasses: check
Keep on eating: in the mind!
Stage III was a connection stage. We moved from one camp in Robertson to the other in Greyton. The longest stage but not the hardest. Getting groups and riding together to clock up some milage very quickly was only our duty. Reality was a fight against the wind in a group that didn't want to work together. A little bit frustrated we crossed the finish line.
Yesterday rain, wind today, the Epic weather is giving us hard times. 



It's hard to go back in time, especially when it's all over. Today it is Tuesday 1st April, 3 am in the morning. 
Can't sleep. Eat to much, drank to much. My body wants to go back to normal life again, but my mind can't let it go. 
"Wake me up when it's all over, when I' m wiser and I'm older." 
I have been riding the Epic every single day with these lyrics in my mind ( they played it at the start line )

The first 20k of each stage I was thinking: "Should I be playing this game? It is only killing me!" 
But I found out that I don't want to waist my time sleeping. And I will be old one day, but wise? I can not wait forever to get wise. 
So I am playing the game, the game of live and the game of the Epic.
And which game is harder? Come and ride it to find out.

Stage IV
Greyton  88km, 1850 m of climbing
"Stage 4 will be the kind of day that makes a mountain biker’s heart beat faster."


Stage V 

Greyton - Elgin 110km, 2900 m of climbing
"This is the queen stage - arguably the hardest of this year’s race, with the most amount of climbing."
The start went hard, but I managed to stay in the group.
A stone at 13k broke the rhythm and my rim. 
The tube couldn't hold the rocky single trail and after another 10k it went flat again.
With much more than a little help from a friend, we made it to the first water point at 50k were we could change the wheel. 
Demotivated we ended this long day at a 7th place, but we kept our overall place at 5th position. 
A roller coaster of emotions and a good night sleep brought us back into the Epic spirit ready for stage VI.

Stage VI
Elgin -Elgin  85km, 1800 m of climbing
"Riders still in the race have definitely earned the rewards of Stage 6. Although there is 1800m of total climbing, riders will mostly remember the amazing single track descents that are dotted along today’s route."
We agree and only remember one thing: FUN - FUN - FUN
A brilliant ride which made us forget every previous little issue.
There do is some fun at the Epic! :-)

Stage VII
Elgin - Lourensford  69km, 1800 m of climbing
Let's say that we tried to finish this stage as save as possible. Laura felt in the start chute her bike had no rear break …. A stop right after the start and at the water point to have it bled costed us 10 minutes but didn't reward us with a functioning break. We finished and kept or 5th position overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hoi,
Tof dat je mij iets wil vertellen!
Groetjes,
Sara